International Students

Coming from outside of the U.S.?

We feel enriched by the diverse body of international students on campus. We are currently accepting applications from individuals requiring an F visa. If you are a Permanent Resident or Naturalized Citizen, you are welcome to apply at any time. If you're planning to enroll in one of our Online Learning programs, you must plan to stay in your country of residence to complete the online program. Here are some important regulations you should know about enrolling as an international student.
  1. 1

    General Admissions Requirements

    International applicants must meet all the General Admissions Requirements.

    AdventHealth University does not admit international students on Probation status. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70 must be presented during admission review to be eligible to study at the University. (Starting Summer 2019)

  2. 2

    I-20 Application

    Once admitted, international students must complete the I-20 Application Form and financial affidavit. These forms will be emailed to you by the International Student Advisor.

  3. 3

    Academic requirements

    All F‐1 students are required to enroll in no less than 12 credits per trimester. Please refer to “Permission to Fall Below Full‐Time Status” for limited exceptions to this rule.

  4. 4

    Obtaining a Social Security card

    Effective October 13, 2004, the Social Security Administration will not accept an application for a social security number from an F-1 student who will be engaged in on‐campus employment unless the student has both a letter from the Designated School Official and proof of employment. For more information visit Please contact the International Student Advisor for more information or assistance.

  5. 5

    On-campus employment

    On-campus employment is defined as employment on the University's premises. This would permit eligible F-1 students to work on campus for 20 hours per week or less. Working over 20 hours per week cannot be authorized. F-1 students who are maintaining their status by enrolling in no less than 12 credits per trimester may work beginning with their first term at the University.

  6. 6

    Off-campus employment

    Students with an F-1 visa are strictly prohibited from working off campus. Only two exceptions apply to this rule:

    • Severe financial hardship – if an F‐1 student has been enrolled at ADU for one full year and can exhibit severe financial hardship, they can appeal to the government for permission to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week.
    • Clinical requirements – if an F‐1 student is required to complete clinicals at a location other than one of the seven Florida Hospitals located in Orlando, they must be authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

    The International Student Advisor must be consulted for either of these off‐campus employment options. If an F-1 student is found to be working off‐campus without CPT or economic hardship authorization, they will be terminated from SEVIS immediately and must exit the country as soon as possible. Any appeals for reinstatement will be automatically denied by the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

  7. 7


    F-1 students planning to travel out of the country during school breaks should contact the International Student Advisor no less than two (2) weeks before their departure date. The Advisor must sign the student’s I‐20 before leaving the country to ensure a smooth return into the United States.

  8. 8

    Permission to fall below full-time status

    There are three main instances in which F-1 students may legally fall below full-time student status (12 credits per trimester). They are:

    • Language difficulty (this can only be authorized for the student’s first trimester).
    • Medical reasons (will be approved only with proper documentation from a Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, Psychologist, or Psychiatrist).
    • Final trimester of study.

    If any student would like to use one of these options, the International Student Advisor must be consulted for proper documentation in SEVIS.

  9. 9

    Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a temporary employment benefit extended to F-1 students after graduation who have been maintaining their full-time student status for at least one full academic year. Its purpose is to give students the opportunity to gain work experience related to their degree and is limited to 12 months total for each degree level in a field directly related to the student's course of study. Students with an active I-20 cannot attend school while completing OPT, whether full‐time or part-time. OPT authorization expires the day an international student enrolls in a new academic program with an I- 20 prior to the expiration of the OPT. Part-time classes may be taken for enrichment purposes only during OPT. To apply for OPT, make an appointment with the International Student Advisor at least four months prior to the date of graduation. Do not apply for OPT if you think you may not graduate on time. There is no way to defer OPT authorization.

  10. 10

    Requirements following graduation

    Students graduating from an Associate of Science degree program intending to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree program at Adventist University should see the International Student Advisor once acceptance to the BS program has been obtained and no less than one month before graduation for an updated I-20. After graduation, all F-1 students have a 60-day grace period before returning to their home country or enrolling in a new academic program. If no arrangements are made to maintain legal status in the United States, the student will be in violation of their F-1 status on the 61st day after graduation.

  11. 11

    Keep in touch

    One of the most common difficulties encountered by international students is miscommunication. Abiding by the government regulations pertaining to F-1 students are the responsibility of each F-1 student, but the International Student Advisor is always willing to assist with questions. It is very important to keep in touch with the International Student Advisor and you can do so by calling 407-303- 7742.

Maintaining Status

Failing to maintain status is serious and could result in deportation. It is each international student’s responsibility to make sure that all Department of Homeland Security (DHS) rules and regulations pertaining to international students are observed.

International Transcripts

Want to transfer credits from schools outside of the U.S.?

Applicants who attended high school or college outside the United States will be required to submit a foreign credential evaluation for that coursework. We will accept evaluations from the following credential evaluation companies:

Applicants are responsible for the cost of these reports and will need to follow the instructions provided by the individual credential evaluation company. Please note that documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by a separate translation company and submitted with official transcripts to the credential evaluation company. International transcripts must be evaluated course-by-course for college/university or document-by-document for High School.

Evaluations received from any other transcript evaluation companies will not be considered to fulfill admission requirements and will not be retained in the applicant’s file.

How to Apply

Ready to get started?

If you are an international student requiring an F visa, begin by completing our online application.

Apply Now →

Need a little Help?

We have an advisor just for International students.

The International Student Advisor is here to help with documentation, application for Optional Practical Training (OPT), and other individual needs. Contact the Office of Enrollment Services to get in touch with the International Student Advisor.